An ominous post appeared on Airtel
what it reads like
- Mobile app makers register with ‘Airtel Zero’ to give customers toll-free access to their apps
- Airtel informs customers about these toll-free apps
- Customers download and access these apps at zero data charges – and enjoy their favorite online tasks (e.g. entertainment, shopping) for free – even at zero mobile balance
what it actually is
- Mobile app makers register with ‘Airtel Zero’ to give customers toll-free access to their apps, but those apps that aren’t registered with ‘Airtel Zero’ (by paying huge amount of fees) will only be accessible on high charges incurred by the customers (WhatsApp, Viber, Amazon…)
- Airtel informs customers about these toll-free apps, remember how Google tried to shove Gooogle plus down our throats by informing us first and then not letting us sign in on various channels until we made a google plus profile. Quite similarly ‘Airtel’ will remind you.
- Customers download and access these apps at zero data charges – and enjoy their favorite online tasks (e.g. entertainment, shopping) for free – even at zero mobile balance. There is no such thing as a free lunch, imagine not being able to compare prices with other shopping websites, and only be able to make a purchase with Flipkart because that’s the only offline app available.
so here is how this deal went down
all went well there, that was a close shave but then one of our own… </3
you know if Airtel and Flipkart get along well (which they will because Flipkart supported them through such shitstorm) then Flipkart will be able to monopolize the online retail scene, Airtel Zero will thwart the reach of other rebellious shopping websites till they get what they want. Pretty much what happened with Comcast and Netflix.
In that case, here is a slice from near future (as close as 24th April, 2015)
alright you can blame us for letting ourselves get carried away
Do these images look more familiar to you, and more real?
Voice your Dissent.
Go to R/India and read the way forward, share these images with your friends and *unknown people you added on a adding spree*. Reach out on twitter, ask celebrities, politicians, vloggers, bloggers you follow to spread the word. Make #NetNeutrality trend. Sign this petition while you are at it.